Thursday, May 17, 2007




BRISTOL (OR: IT"S BIGGER ON THE INSIDE THAN IT IS ON THE OUTSIDE)
Last weekend was the Annual Bristol Comic show, now called the Bristol International Comic Expo. I haven't had a chance to post anything since then because I spent Monday taking the scenic route home (I'll discuss Monday in the next post). This year's Bristol was the fourth show put on by Mike Allwood and Dave Morris and I have to say that it was the most impressive yet. I got to do a panel with Allen Heinberg (Young Avengers, Grey's Anatomy) and Paul Cornell (Doctor Who, Wisdom) on TV writers switching to write comics and the hall was packed on the Saturday when we did it. The Commonwealth, where the stalls and booths were, was also heaving on the Saturday. There was a real sense of optimism to the whole show and I managed to show people designs from the Annual, both on the TRIPWIRE table and during a panel on the Saturday afternoon with Duncan Fegredo and Andy Winter. They were very well-received and made me realise that bringing TRIPWIRE back now was a very good decision to make. The manga presence at the show, organised by Sean Michael Wilson of Boychild Books, really helped to give it a mixed feel too. I enjoyed it on a social level too: I got t0 hang out with Dave Baillie, Baz and Leon from Redeye, Daniel Goodbrey and many others. My brother came down for some of the show too. Andy Winter won an Eagle Award for his Hero Killers, which meant that the artist of that series, Declan Shalvey (a decent bloke and a name to watch) was walking around with a permanent grin from Saturday night to Sunday evening. I didn't get to see any of the other panels but I got the impression that they were all very popular. The only thing that could have put a crimp in the weekend was the fact that the con books didn't arrive but Mike and Dave circulated flyers with the panel schedule on them, so it didn't. The show got around 3000 people through its doors and so I must congratulate Mike and Dave for putting on a great weekend. Come back at the weekend and I'll show you what I got up on the Monday homeā€¦

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dec said...

I still have that grin Joel.
Great seeing you over the weekend and i'm glad that you got back home in one (?) piece.

All the best,

Dec

11:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home