Sunday, August 02, 2009




















COASTING PART TWO
So Wednesday started with us dropping off copies of TRIPWIRE at the Icv2.com conference which took place at the Marriott. We gave out copies of 2008 and 2009's Annuals and saw Jeph Loeb give a keynote speech, watched Robert Venditti and Chris Staros discuss the Surrogates' move from comics to the big screen, which was fairly interesting when you consider that this was Venditti's first comic and his day job is helping Staros out at Top Shelf. Jeff Smith talked about how he has resisted a cinematic version of his series Bone, which was pretty funny. I admit we didn't stick around for the second half of the conference as I was still tired and trying to adjust to the time difference. So we set up for Preview Night and got a decent amount of foot traffic by our table, making a few sales of the new Annual. I saw Richard Taylor from Weta briefly on Wednesday too, which is always a pleasure. I don't remember where we went for dinner on Wednesday. Thursday was a decent day as we kicked it off with the TRIPWIRE panel, which Rich Johnston and Kody Chamberlain came for, and we even had a good turn out for the audience. Myself and Andy G also met with our Barnes & Noble buyer, James Killen, which went well, I did a press conference with Tim Burton about Alice in Wonderland and I got to do a Terry Gilliam roundtable about Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus. I got some great photos of him and he came across as very approachable. To be honest, if all I did at the whole show was do the Gilliam thing, I would have been satisfied. The weirdest thing about Burton is that, the older he gets, the more he looks like Bob Dylan. Myself and Andy G met with Bill Schanes at Diamond Comic Distributors regarding the whole benchmark thing and, while he was very pleasant, they wouldn't change their mind, which is their prerogative. So we are looking at other options. I didn't get to do the James Cameron interview or Peter Jackson but I did a Kick-Ass roundtable that evening and got to see its producer Tarquin Pack again, which was cool. I saw lots of people throughout the show and gave them copies of the magazine and don't remember looking back which day I actually saw them. Sales on Thursday were steady. So here's another selection of photos from Wednesday and Thursday…

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger jamie said...

you lovely,lucky thing!!!

6:16 pm  
Blogger D.TAYLOR said...

Ya gonna have to tell me everything that Terry Gilliam said. Everything!

3:01 pm  
Blogger joelmead said...

Dave,
remind me near Brum and I'll give you the audio from the Gilliam roundtable. I gave him a Studio Space hardcover at the show…

3:06 pm  
Blogger wolfboy said...

It was great; albeit brief--seeing you again, Joel. You are a class act. New issue is the tits! as they say.

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home