Wednesday, December 30, 2009




A LOOK BACK AND A LOOK FORWARD
As is traditional here, at the end of the year I talk about what I've done and what I hope to do. 2009 was a very strange year for me: work, especially subbing work was thin on the ground and while the writing was there, it wasn't enough to replace the subbing that I had before. But some good things did happen:

•We got another two issues of TRIPWIRE out, the Superhero Special in February and the Annual 2009 at the very end of July. They are two issues that I am very proud of. It was disappointing that Diamond US chose not to carry the 2009 Annual but it's a decision I couldn't take personally as the business environment in 2009 was extremely tough and so they made choices that they wouldn't have done in previous years

•I cemented my writing portfolio and my cuttings. In 2009 I got pieces published in Big Issue In The North, Sci Fi Now and did a load of work for the Judge Dredd Megazine, which will continue into 2010. I did some work for online genre publications, something I haven't really pursued much. I got to interview Terry Gilliam and Genndy Tartakovsky, two people whose work I have admired for years. I also interviewed Guillermo Del Toro again when The Strain came out and was able to build up my relationship with him and Richard Taylor at Weta, a relationship that I intend to continue to build upon

•I finally came to the conclusion that the photos I take are just as valid as the photos that established photographers take. In fact, I now consider myself to be a photographer as I finally put my money where my mouth is and put out my first photography book, Town & Country (available now from Blurb.com). I have improved the shots I take and at the end of this year have taken some photos I am truly proud that I have taken

•I wrote and completed a prose short story, The Hanging Man, which is something I've not done since I was at university. I entered it into a competition and it was a great exercise for me as a writer

So looking back, it wasn't a total washout as a year. Studio Space, which came out in 2008, didn't do anything more and I came to realise that it served its purpose but if we wanted the book to make more of an impact, myself and Gary needed to do the promotion ourselves. I would still like to do a followup but I've put that to the back of my mind at present because I am going to devote time to book projects aimed at a more general readership. So here's what I plan to do in 2010:

•Publish a photography book a month. Town & Country was the first but it will be followed by a new title every month. London Eye will be out in January, then we'll have a book on London Cemeteries, London Pubs, Statues and much more. I aim to come to the end of 2010 with around a dozen photo books with my name on them. You will also be able to buy prints of my photos too. To that end, I'm going to be starting a new blog that will just talk about my photography sometime in January…

•Hopefully one of the book proposals I have in with traditional book publishers will happen. I don't know which and I don't want to jinx it, so I won't mention the subject of any of them in case none of them happen…

•I shall write more fiction. I was very chuffed I managed to finish my short in 2009 and there'll be lots more projects like that. We'll have some Dee For Detective out in some shape or form in 2010 and I may even pursue some other comic writing opportunities…

•There will be more TRIPWIRE. Even though the market is bloody hard at the moment with shops closing and magazines teetering on the edge, the plan is to produce at least a TRIPWIRE Annual as a physical entity in 2010. It's the 75 anniversary of DC as well as the 20th of The Simpsons, so we plan to be there in some shape and form to document what's going on. We are also going to attempt to update the website far more regularly…

•I am also going to build up my writing portfolio and get into even more magazines, newspapers and publications that I've not been in before…

So 2009 was a pretty dodgy year but it had some highlights. I believe that 2010 will be a better year…

So to everyone who reads this blog, have a great New Year and I'll see you on the other side…

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Trav28 said...

Good luck for the coming year Joel!

10:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home